How to Import MSG Files into Thunderbird? A Complete Guide
November 10th, 2022 ~ File Management Tips ~ 4 Minutes Reading
We are going to explain the complete information about how to import MSG files into Thunderbird account using free manual methods.
If you are using Outlook, then probably you know about the PST and MSG file format. And sometimes situations come, when we have MSG files, and we want to open them in the Thunderbird account. But, Outlook data files (.pst and .msg) can only open in an Outlook account.
But don’t worry, we will show you the methods and information to import MSG files into Thunderbird account. Some instances are mentioned below, which compels users to import MSG files into Thunderbird accounts.
Reasons to Open MSG in Thunderbird Account
Here I will mention some points, why users want to import Outlook MSG to Thunderbird.
- Maybe, you exported your Outlook emails in MSG format and now you are using Thunderbird.
- Also, it is hard to manage multiple MSG files, because MSG stores only single email data.
- MSG files are not compatible with another email client except Outlook.
- MSG file is not readable without Outlook set up.
After reading about the situations and drawbacks of using MSG files. let’s see the process to import MSG files into Thunderbird.
Manual Methods to Import MSG Files into Thunderbird
Here I will show you 2 manual methods to open MSG in Thunderbird. Both methods are given below in detail.
Method 1: Change MSG File to EML Format
- Locate the MSG file on your system.
- Now, right-click on it and hit the “Rename” option.
- Next, change the extension from .msg to .eml and enter.
- Now, click right on created EML file and choose the “Open in Thunderbird” option.
- Lastly, your MSG file will open in Thunderbird.
Attention: Do this manual method at your own risk. because there are high chances of data corruption. and also, this method will only show header details, the body of the email will not be shown.
Method 2: Configure Outlook in Thunderbird
If your Outlook email client is installed on your system, then you can configure both accounts and move emails.
- Open Thunderbird email client.
- Now hit the “ALT” key and choose the “Tools” icon.
- And select “Account Settings” >> “Account Action” >> “Add Mail Account” option.
- After that, enter the login details of your Outlook account and hit the “Finish” icon.
Now your Outlook data will show in your Thunderbird account. And click on the email that you want to move. And right click on it and choose “Move to” and select the Thunderbird account.
The process is straightforward but has some limitations. Like it does not support corrupt Files, and Outlook must be installed on your system.
Import MSG Files into Thunderbird – Online Tools
You will get multiple online tools, which allow you to open MSG in your Thunderbird account. But these kinds of tools are not authorized and verified. Also, it doesn’t provide a guarantee for 100% risk-free and virus-free results. Also, you don’t know whether they will save your data or not, maybe they will use your data in the wrong way. So, avoid using online tools.
Time to Say Goodbye
This blog described the methods to import MSG files into Thunderbird account using completely free manual methods. Manual methods are free and straightforward but have some limitations. Also, you will get various online tools, which is risky for your data. at last, if manual methods don’t work for your data, then you can take the help of third-party tools.