How to Open MSG File for Mac & Windows? Manually
November 18th, 2022 ~ Computer Tips ~ 5 Minutes Reading
If you have a similar query and are looking for how to open an MSG file then, this article would be useful for you. Here, we have explained a free, manual yet easy method for you to open MSG file.
Although, this was one query regarding how can one open an MSG file. However, there may be many other reasons one could be looking for ways to open MSG files. For instance, you’re new to Outlook and are simply looking for ways to open MSG file.
Whatever the reason, this article will give you the solution. Furthermore, let’s get acquainted with an MSG file format, its contents and how it is created before we advance to the manual technique.
What is an MSG File Format?
To store and save any item, Microsoft outlook uses the MSG file format. We are aware that Microsoft Outlook is not just an email client but, you can also manage your contacts, calendar events, tasks and appointments in it. Hence, whatever item you want to save will be stored with a .msg file extension.
Manual Methods to Open MSG File
There are 4 methods available for opening MSG files for mac & Windows users. all the methods are mentioned below:
How to Open MSG Files on Mac?
If you want to open MSG file on Mac machines, then you can do it by following the steps:
- Step 1: If you have an orphan MSG file, then import it into Windows Outlook via drag and drop
- Step 2: Now you can convert MSG to PDF format, and then open this PDF file on Mac machine
How to Access MSG Files using Outlook for Windows?
First, it is compulsory to have an Outlook environment to open an MSG file. It is utmost easy to open MSG files.
You can open an MSG file by double-clicking on it. And if you do not have Microsoft Outlook set as your default browser then, follow the given instructions.
- Select the MSG file that you want to open.
- Right-click on the file.
- Select the “Open With” option.
- In the dropdown menu, choose “Microsoft Outlook”.
- Now your file will be opened in Outlook.
Make sure you have installed Outlook beforehand for it to appear in the dropdown menu. Otherwise, you might get confused why this method is not working.
How to Open MSG Files in SeaMonkey?
- Open the SeaMonkey application.
- And then, click on the “Windows” >> “Mail & Newsgroups” option.
- Now click on the “Go Back” or “Cancel” option.
- Next, choose “File” >> “Open File” options.
- And then, select the MSG file, that you want to open.
- Lastly, hit the Open button to open MSG file.
Still Facing Problems While Opening MSG Files
Still, if you are facing problems while opening MSG files, then there are a number of factors why users are not capable to access the file:
- Shutdown Error: Sometimes the wrong shutdown can damage your MSG files, and a wrong shutdown happens due to power failures, or connection problems.
- Virus Attacks: Currently there is end number of viruses, which can harm your computer or device through sharing files, downloading data, etc. because of these viruses, MSG files may corrupt.
MSG File Components
An MSG file contains information that differs according to the item stored in it.
Let’s see the most common components and the information along with them in MSG files.
- Email: Along with the body of the email message, there are multiple fields such as the date, sender, recipient, and the subject of the email, stored in the file. The file’s name is the subject line of the message by default.
- Contact: The file consists of details like the full name of the person, their email address, work information, their business, and home address as well as their phone numbers. The name of the MSG file is the contact’s name by default.
- Appointment: The MSG file contains all the appointment details such as the beginning and end time of the appointment, its location, and the message regarding it. The name of the file is by default the appointment title.
- Task: The file consists of task details such as the start and the due date of the task, completion percentage, priority level, and message regarding the task. The file’s name by default is the task’s subject.
All this information might seem overwhelming but, in reality, it is as simplest as it could ever be. And, creating an MSG file is even more simple. Let’s have a look at it.
How To Create an MSG File?
Creating an MSG file is one of the simplest processes in Microsoft Outlook. You can create an MSG file by dragging and dropping any item out of Microsoft Outlook.
Simply select one or more items, for instance, emails and drag and drop them to any folder in your system. The dropped files will be saved with a .msg extension.
Yes, it is that easy to save any Outlook email as an MSG file. Now that, we have cleared our concepts on the MSG file, it’s time to move on to how you can open MSG file.
In this article, we shared the simplest technique on how to open MSG file. You can use this method to easily open your files with a .msg extension. Though you must make sure that you have outlook installed before you proceed with this method as this technique is Outlook-dependent.