How Secure is Bluetooth Connection? – The Truth Behind Hacking Concerns
September 20th, 2022 ~ Cyber Security ~ 6 Minutes Reading
Bluetooth technology is an in-built feature of all devices. It is a great alternative to wireless devices. Many people, without thinking twice, connect Bluetooth from their smartphones to cars, earbuds, headphones, etc. But the question arises, “How secure is Bluetooth connection?” and “Is Bluetooth hackable?”
In this article, we explain why some people are concerned about Bluetooth connections. We also look at the evidence for security and know if your Bluetooth has been hacked.
The world of technology is constantly evolving. Everyone wants to use wireless and hands-free devices to live life with ease. Tablets, headphones, speakers, and security systems are wireless devices. If you don’t have an Internet connection, Bluetooth makes it easy to connect to other devices. But is there concern about the Bluetooth connection being encrypted? And is it easy to hack Bluetooth? So here we will answer your every question with full proof. This is an informative article about all things Bluetooth, like what it is, how it works, Bluetooth attacks, and tips and tricks for Bluetooth security.
What is Bluetooth and How secure is Bluetooth Connection?
Bluetooth technology is in-built into every cell phone and other devices. It is a local network to exchange data wirelessly between nearby devices. A Bluetooth connection allows quick and easy connection of phones with headphones, speakers, TVs, and other devices without needing a cable. We can use it to transfer files, play audio wirelessly, for calls, and many more.
Everyone can freely use the technology without a license. So this is one of the reasons why Bluetooth is so popular. Nowadays, Bluetooth connectivity can be found in almost everything. However, every newly manufactured device comes with built-in Bluetooth functionality. While Bluetooth technology provides many benefits, it has also opened the door to cyberattacks. However, using Bluetooth technology, one question always comes to mind: “How secure is the Bluetooth connection?”
Is Bluetooth Hackable?
The answer is yes. Every day, this kind of technology is all around people. But what many people don’t know is that using a Bluetooth connection comes with several security and privacy risks. Bluetooth allows devices to link to each other over a very short distance. Mostly we use Bluetooth in a car while driving. Both the car and the smartphone have Bluetooth turned on. And hackers are taking the advantage of these mistakes. Bluetooth is a very simple way to hack your devices.
What is Bluetooth Hacking?
We consider Bluetooth to be a “personal area network,” which means it is available only within a short range. A hacker can exploit your Bluetooth if he’s within range of your device and radio. Bluetooth hackers target crowded public spaces. So, they can easily track directions.
How secure is Bluetooth connection? Bluetooth hacks occur when a hacker uses their own Bluetooth connection to obtain access to your phone. However, this can only happen if your phone is within Bluetooth range of a prospective hacker. This range is typically approximately 30 feet. If the hacker successfully connects to your phone, the compromised phone will be vulnerable to all forms of security flaws.
How to Tell if Your Bluetooth Connection Is Hacked?
Although Bluetooth hacking occurs without your knowledge, you can still detect it by looking for certain signs on your phone.
- Although it is natural for a phone’s battery life to degrade over time, it is a completely different story if it is depleted due to a malware attack. Malware usually needs to scan the device and take a lot of battery to send information back to the server.
- If your phone’s Bluetooth is hacked, then your phone runs extremely slowly. Malware overload and installing unnecessary applications.
- Your phone received text messages from a strange number.
Types of Bluetooth Hacking Attacks
There are three types of hacking attacks that cause major harm to people:
- Bluebugging – This bluebugging attack generally happens on old model phones. In this attack, hackers make phone calls by gaining access to a device and receive and send text messages and emails from unknown devices.
- Bluenarfing – Of all the attacks, this is one of the most dangerous. When attackers are within 300 feet of a device, they can easily access the device without leaving any trace. If you set non-discoverable mode on your device, hackers can easily trace your personal information, and copy your personal data like photos, videos, contact lists, passwords, and emails.
- Bluejacking – This is the least harmless of all attacks. It works like a prank call that is meant to annoy. Hackers only send text messages to the hacked device. It doesn’t take control of the device or gain access to any files.
A Simple Way to Protect Yourself from Bluetooth Hackers
We have been discussing since the very beginning whether “How secure is Bluetooth connection?” Bluetooth connections are secure or not, and whether Bluetooth is hackable or not. And we have given you every answer. But that doesn’t mean we can’t stop it from happening. For Bluetooth, the hackers must be able to hack your device within a short distance. We will provide you with some tips and tricks to avoid Bluetooth hacking:
- Turn off your Bluetooth when you don’t need it, especially in public areas. Hackers wait for unsuspected users who forget to turn their Bluetooth off.
- Try to avoid pairing devices in public areas because crowded areas are hotspots for hackers.
- Do not accept requests from unfamiliar devices for pairing.
- Unpair the devices you want to pair as soon as possible. Hence, you should do this regularly with all Bluetooth devices unpaired that was previously connected to.
- Make sure you erase all your data before reselling, returning, or repairing your phone.
How Secure is Bluetooth Connection? – Conclusion
Bluetooth has become a household name. We use it daily and have taken it for granted. Many people asked questions on forum site like “is Bluetooth connection encrypted?” The answer is no. When you pair with another device, it will show a message and ask for permission to pair. If you are unfamiliar with the device, then don’t pair it. Hopefully, this informative blog gives you an in-depth knowledge about Bluetooth connection, and after reading this blog you must have understood that “How secure is Bluetooth connection?”