How to Remove VBA Password from Excel File? – Get Free Solution
Have you ever forgotten your Excel workbook or sheet password? Want to break VBA password in Excel? If yes, then continue reading this blog. We are giving you the free and best technique to remove VBA password from Excel file.
We all know that VBA (Visual Basic for Application) is a computer programming language provided by the Microsoft Office Suite programs, for instance, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, etc. Many developers create macros to generate functions and speed up manual tasks by creating automated processes.
If the user forgets the VBA password, that means they cannot open and modify their Excel VBA scripts. As a result, the Excel VBA password remover macro is useful for developers and coders in resetting VBA passwords.
Why do Users Unlock VBA passwords in Excel?
- Someone sends you an Excel workbook and you cannot open the file because it is protected with a VBA password.
- Any coder and developer can download sample files of password-protected VBA projects online. But they are unable to use the VBA macros and modules because of the password.
There are a few reasons that we have mentioned. But for many more reasons, users are looking for a manual solution to remove the password from an excel sheet through VBA.
Manual Method to Remove Macro Password from Excel
#1 Unlock VBA Password via Changing File Extension
- Open the VBA project file and change the extension from .xlsm to .zip.
- Open the Zip file with WinZip / WinRar programs by double-clicking.
- Press on the xl folder.
- Now, export the VBAproject.bin file and open the file with Hex editor.
- After that, replace DPB with DPx in the hex editor and save it.
- Rename the old vbaProject.bin file to the new vbaProject.bin file in the ZIP folder.
- Now, change file extension from .zip to .xlsm.
- Begin Visual Basic in Microsoft Excel by choosing Tools >>VBAProject Properties.
- Select the Protection tab, set a new password, then save it in .xlsm format.
- Finally, the user can easily open the VBA project file by entering a new password.
#2 Excel Password Remover Macro
Users only need to copy and paste the below code into their Excel VBA code window to remove the password from the Excel Sheet.
- Click + F11 to open the visual basic editor.
Press the Insert Module option and paste the given code.
- Click the F5 tab to run the code and break the VBA Module password in the Excel sheet.
- Now, you are free to open VBA-protected files without giving any password.
#3 Break VBA Password in Excel Workbook via Hex Editor
- Firstly, create a new Microsoft Excel XLS / XLSX file using the Hex Editor program.
- Secondly, set a new password in VBA file, it shortcut is Alt + F11.
- Save the recently generated file at any location and click the exit tab.
- Now open a file via Hex Editor and copy each file starting with CMG=…, DPB=… and GC=…
- Copy the above lines and paste them. Open a file that you want to remove the VBA password from in Hex Editor.
- Lastly, save the Excel file and exit to unlock the password from VBA projects.
- Now set a common password that you used in the previous step for the dummy VBA file.
Limitations of Manual Method
So in the end, we suggest you several manual methods to break the VBA password from Excel. But these methods do not work professionally. There are some limitations:
- If you have a batch VBA password-protected file, then these methods take your time and effort because they don’t work in bulk to crack the VBA password macro and modules from an Excel workbook.
- You need to follow so many multiple steps to remove the VBA password in Excel, so you will need to know the technicalities to operate all these steps.
- After removing the VBA password from Excel, there is no guarantee that it will maintain text formatting and all items in their original state. Maybe you lost your data during this process.
In this article, we have listed many manual methods to remove VBA passwords from excel files. If you forget the password, someone sends you a VBA protected file and you need to remove it, then you can try these manual methods to break the excel VBA password remover macro.