How to Remove VBA Password from Excel File?
Forgetting Microsoft Excel VBA passwords is the most common problem faced by users. Suppose you are looking for a solution to remove VBA password from Excel Workbook. Then, you can stop your search here because this blog post explores the various free tips and tricks to resolve how to remove Excel VBA password query.
As we all know, business professionals protect their Excel VBA projects with passwords to prevent unauthorized access. But sometimes users get into problems when they forget MS Excel VBA macros password. After that, they start searching for a trustworthy and reliable technique to resolve this problem. But first, let’s find out what is VBA password if you don’t know.
VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) is a programming language for computers provided by MS Office. The VBA is used to protect the Excel worksheet and projects known as the VBA password.
Objective to Remove Excel VBA Password
- Many times, users want to create a duplicate copy of the VBA project in Excel but when the users try to edit or copy the modules, the Excel file projects ask for a VBA password.
- When an employee of an organization leaves the organization. Then a few years later, the organization team may want to access the employee Excel Sheet which contains the VBA password then they unlock VBA password in Excel XLSM.
- Sometimes systems administrators want to modify and enhance the VBA programming script in Excel Workbook. However, they cannot do any modification due to password security. Thereafter, users wish to remove VBA project password in Excel.
These are just some of the reasons we have given. But there are many more reasons why users want to remove VBA password from Excel macro-enabled files. To solve this problem users are now looking for a manual solution. In the next paragraphs, we have mentioned several manual approaches to unlock Excel VBA password.
Method 1: Unlock VBA Password in Excel Using WinRAR
- Open the Excel VBA project file and change the extension from .xlsm to .zip.
- Open the Zip file with the WinRAR program by double-clicking.
- Now, click on the xl folder to continue.
- Export the VBAproject.bin file and open it with Hex editor.
- After that, change DPB with DPx in the hex editor and save it.
- Replace old vbaProject.bin file to new vbaProject.bin file in the ZIP folder.
- Now, change file extension from .zip to .xlsm.
- Begin Visual Basic in Excel and select Tools >> VBAProject Properties.
- Select the Protection tab, set a new password, then save it in .xlsm format.
- Finally, the user can easily open the VBA project file by entering a new password.
Method 2: Remove VBA Password from Excel Using Hex Editor
- Firstly, create a new Microsoft Excel XLSX file using the Hex Editor.
- Secondly, set a new password in the VBA file, its shortcut is Alt + F11.
- Save the recently generated file at any location and click the Exit tab.
- Now open a recently created file via the Hex Editor program.
- Copy each line starting with CMG=…, DPB=… and GC=…
- Open a file that you want to remove Excel VBA password from in Hex Editor and paste it.
- Lastly, save the Excel file and exit to unlock VBA password in Excel.
- Now set a common password that you used in the previous step for the dummy VBA file.
Method 3: Remove Excel VBA Project Password Using Visual Basic Editor
- Start MS Excel program, create and open a new workbook.
- Use Alt + F11 or go to the Developers Tab to open Visual Basic Editor.
- Select the Insert option and then choose Module from the dropdown choices.
- Enter below mentioned VBA programming code under Module Editor.
- Choose Run >> Continue (F5) to start running the VBA script.
- Browse the password-protected Excel XLSM file and choose Open.
- A popup window will open with a restored password.
- Use the recovered password to unlock Excel VBA password.
Limitations of Manual Solutions
So, in the end, we suggest several manual solutions to unlock Excel VBA Password. However these solutions do not work professionally. There are some limitations:
- If you have a batch VBA password-protected file, then these solutions take your time and effort because they don’t work in bulk to break VBA password in Excel XLSM files.
- You need to follow multiple steps to remove Excel VBA password, so you will need to learn the technicalities to perform all these steps.
- There is no data loss or manipulation guarantee, you may lose your crucial VBA project information due to any wrong operation.
- These techniques may fail while removing strong and multilanguage Excel VBA project passwords.
Software to Unlock Excel VBA Password
We know the value of your data so alternatively suggesting you an excellent third-party tool to break Excel VBA password. This is an easy way to resolve this problem without having any technical knowledge. VBA Password Remover is an excellent software that not only allows you to remove Excel VBA password but also supports Microsoft Word, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook VBA.
How to Remove VBA Password from Excel File?
- Start the recommended software and choose Select Files or Select Folders to load Excel XLSM files.
- Select the required Excel XLSM macro-enabled files and press Next.
- Browse destination path and click Remove to remove VBA password from Excel XLSM files.
In this article, we have listed 3 manuals and 1 third-party solution to remove VBA password from Excel. If you forget the password, someone sends you a VBA password-protected file and you need to remove it, then you can try these above-mentioned manual solutions to resolve your query.