How Do I Downgrade Google Workspace to Gmail?
November 21st, 2022 ~ G Suite / Google Workspace Tips ~ 5 Minutes Reading
If you are looking for a way to downgrade Google Workspace to Gmail account, then you are on the right page. Here we will show you the complete information with all the easiest working steps to migrate email from Google Workspace to Gmail for free.
As we all know Both G Suite and Gmail are provided by Google company with advanced features. as Google discontinued its Legacy edition on July 1, 2022, to increase subscribers for more profit.
Now all the users of legacy have to submit their billing information to update their workspace subscriptions.
Due to the high cost of G Suite, some users choose to stay with Google Workspace-like companies and few of them want to migrate their data from Google Workspace to Gmail account.
Free Methods to Migrate Email from Google Workspace to Gmail Account
Here we will show you 2 manual methods to downgrade Google Workspace to Gmail account. First, we will migrate data using the GWMMO tool, and in the second method, we will take the help of the Thunderbird email client.
Important Note: Users have to enable IMAP access and have to generate an app password (Use it rather than a normal password) for Gmail and G Suite accounts to avoid authentication errors while configuring Gmail or Google Workspace account.
Method 1: Downgrade Google Workspace to Gmail using GWMMO Tool
Follow all the steps to migrate G Suite to Gmail account. All the steps are mentioned below:
- Step 1: Download Google Workspace data with Google takeout
- Step 2: Convert the exported data to PST format
- Step 3: Import PST to your Gmail Account.
Step 1: Download Google Workspace Data with Google Takeout
- Open Google Workspace Account using (https://takeout.Google.com/settings/takeout)
- Now, click on the “Deselect All” option and select the required data from the list.
- Next, Select the destination and choose frequency and file size options.
- And click on the “Create Export” option to downgrade Google Workspace to Gmail account.
Step 2: Convert the Exported Data to PST Format
Now your data will save as .mbox the format at the selected location. Now users have to convert exported data to PST format to open MBOX files without any hassle.
If you want to know the step-by-step guide to convert MBOX to PST, then read the mentioned article.
Step 3: Migrate from G Suite to Gmail
GWMMO tool is a free and built-in service, that allows users to migrate Outlook data like emails, contacts, calendars, notes, journals, etc to a Gmail account.
- Run the GWMMO tool after downloading it to your system.
- Now log in with your Gmail account.
- After successfully login in, scroll download and click on the “Allow” option.
- Now choose the “From PST File” option from the “Select a Microsoft Outlook User Profile or PST to Migrate” list and click on the “Next” icon to start the process.
- After that, upload the converted PST file and open it.
- Now choose the “Migrate All Data” or “Migrate only New Data” option and then select the required data that you want to import.
- Lastly, hit on the “Migrate” icon to downgrade Google Workspace to Gmail account.
- Now waiting for the process to complete and click on the “OK” icon when the confirmation message will appear.
Your Google Workspace to Gmail migration successfully ends.
Method 2: Downgrade Google Workspace to Gmail using Thunderbird
We are taking the help of Thunderbird because we all know that the Thunderbird email client is compatible with both Gmail and MBOX formats.
- Step 1: Import Exported Data to Thunderbird
- Step 2: Now connect Personal Gmail to Thunderbird.
- Step 3: Switch Data from Google Workspace to Gmail
Follow all the steps that are mentioned above to migrate email from Google Workspace to Gmail account.
Step 1: Import Exported Data to Thunderbird
After exporting all the data from Google Workspace (steps are mentioned above in method 1), now we will import MBOX to Thunderbird account.
- Restart the application.
- And click on the “Tools” >> “ImportExportTools NG” >> “Import MBOX Files” options from the list.
- Now choose the “Import Directly One Or More MBOX Files” option and click on the “OK” button.
- Next, browse the location of exported data and open it.
Now successfully Google Workspace data imported into the Thunderbird account. Now follow step 2 to downgrade Google Workspace to Gmail:
Step 2: Connect Personal Gmail to Thunderbird
- Now click on the “Tools” >> “Account Settings” options in Thunderbird
- And then, select “Account Actions” >> “Add Mail Account” options in the new tab.
- Now, enter the login details of your Gmail account like the email address and generated password previously.
- Apply the server details and lastly click on the “Finish” icon.
Step 3: Switch Data from Google Workspace to Gmail
Right-click on the previously uploaded MBOX files, choose the “Move To” option and then select the personal Gmail account from the list and choose the folder. And successfully your Google Workspace was downgraded to Gmail.
As you can see, Free methods are the best and most straightforward. But there are some points, which you have to keep in mind before starting the process.
- Google Takeout will take 10 to 20 days to export data.
- Sometimes the error occurs when you download the GWMMO tool.
- Thunderbird must be downloaded on your system in working conditions.
- Don’t skip any steps, it will lose your data.
Wrap Up Time
Above we explained the complete information to downgrade Google Workspace to Gmail account using completely free manual methods. here we used GWMMO and Thunderbird tools. both methods are completely free for users. but yes, there are some points, which users have to keep in mind to migrate email from Google Workspace to Gmail account.