Free way to Convert XLS to XLSX without Opening file Offline
March 25th, 2022 ~ Excel ~ 4 Minutes Reading
Summary: If you’re looking for a way to convert XLS to XLSX without losing data or going through a long process, we can help. We’ve put together a list of the several ways to bulk convert an XLS file to an XLSX Excel file. So, if such approaches are required in your present situation, let us begin by being acquainted with them one by one.
Why to Convert XLS file to XLSX format?
- The information in XLS is stored in a binary format and is based on BIFF. XLS, on the other hand, is based on the Office Open XML format, which is developed from XML, and its data is saved in a text file with all of its parameters defined using XML.
- The Office XML Format stores data using ZIP and compression methods. As a result, the XLSX based on the Office XML format has a reduced file size than the old binary based XLS.
- XLSX, which is based on the Office XML format, is intended to be more resilient than XLS, which is based on the binary format. This may assist to lessen the risk of data loss due to faulty or broken files.
For previous versions of Microsoft Excel (Excel 97-2003 Workbooks), XLS is the default saving format, but for versions 2007 and above, XLSX is the default saving format. Because XLSX is an enhanced version of XLS, it has many more sophisticated features. So, even with the XLS, if you want additional features and progress, you must convert them first. So, have a look at how the conversion works.
How to Convert XLS to XLSX without Losing Data in Microsoft Excel on Windows 10?
Because XLS and XLSX are native to Microsoft Excel, you can convert these files in just a few clicks with this application. That is, provided you already have it installed on your computer or if you really are prepared to pay a monthly charge to convert a small number of spreadsheet files.
- Open the File menu in Microsoft Excel after opening the XLS file.
- To change the XLS extension, go to the File menu and choose the Save As option.
- You may choose the file’s location, name, and, most crucially, type when the Save As dialogue box appears.
- To convert XLS to XLSX, choose Excel Workbook (*.xlsx) from the Save As Type drop-down box. Tap the Save icon to approve.
So, that’s how to convert XLS to XLSX without losing data. This procedure is intended for Windows users. So, if you’re using the same operating system, the preceding procedure is for you. However, if you are a Mac user and wish to convert XLS Excel file to XLSX format in bulk on the same, you may follow the method described below.
How to Convert an XLS file to an XLSX file on Mac OS Catalina?
Apple Numbers supports both the XLS and XLSX file formats. However, the problem might be caused by unsupported formats such as Calibri or other unsupported Excel file components in this application. Nonetheless, here are methods for converting XLS to XLSX on Mac OS Catalina using Numbers.
- Using Numbers, open the XLS file. Then, under the File menu, locate the Export To drop-down list and choose Excel.
- Export Your Spreadsheet dialogue box will appear. Select Advanced Options and convert the Format to the XLSX extension. Following that, you should hit the Next button.
- A new dialogue box will appear, allowing you to choose the file name and location. After that, all you have to do is hit the Export button.
So, that’s how you can convert batch XLS spreadsheets to XLSX files on a mac device. So, we have offered solutions for both Mac and Windows users. Now we hope you won’t find any difficulties accomplishing your task.
However, if you have problems with, either way, you may use FreePCTips XLS to XLSX Converter to convert XLS files to XLSX on both Mac and Windows without sacrificing quality and in just a few clicks. It’s a practical method with a slew of useful features that you won’t discover in the prior method.
We’ve provided you with many options to convert XLS to XLSX without losing data quality. The methods include manual procedures that you may carry out using your Excel application. They work on both Windows and Mac operating systems and just take a few steps to complete. However, employing the manual approach has the drawback of requiring you to convert your files one at a time. So, go through the technique and put it to the test to see whether it’s right for you.